Nice answer, Bruce. You make a strong case for the K-x. Have you done any large prints (say 12 x 18) from frames made with the K-x at high ISOs? If so, would you be willing to share your impressions? Cheers, Christine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Dayton" <bkday...@daytonphoto.com>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:41 AM
Subject: Re: K-x question(s)

I'll do my best to answer.

Focus points are changed via menu or quick button access.  You see on
the lcd which focus point(s) is active.  For someone who changes them
all the time shot by shot, this would be very clumsy.  For someone
who picks one and leaves it, it works pretty well.  There is a new
choice besides the center, single point or all points - it is center
cluster - think of it more like center weighted vs spot metering, but
for AF instead.  It uses the center 5 points and gives a broader base
to work from when the subject may be slightly off center.  In
practice it works rather well and doesn't have the performance
penalties of camera working with all points.  So far, I have found
the K-x to be better at AF than the K20, especially at focus
tracking.  I have also found the K20 to be better than the K10 at
focusing across the board.

As to kit lens - it is the same optics as the other kit lenses.
Rather good for what it is.  I suspect, that final size of print may
have something to do with acceptability.  The other thing to consider
is the speed which affects DOF.  If you want a real shallow portrait,
f/3.5-5.6 is not as good.  My daughters use the kit lenses all the
time for their portrait stuff and they look just fine.  I personally
use the DA* 16-50/2.8 or equivalent rather than the kit lens.  But
when size and weight are paramount, the kit lens gets the nod.

The high ISO is plenty good enough - the bigger issue would be
control of lighting.  If you want catchlights in eyes, or control of
shadows, then you may need flash or reflectors no matter how much
light you have.  As for needing flash as the main illuminator of the
subject, the high ISO will help you there.  Here is a shot at ISO
3200 with no flash fill or reflectors:
http://www.daytonphoto.com/PAW/imgp1200-1.htm

Since my son is the proud owner of my old K10D, I don't use it at all
anymore, but do have the K20D.  The K20 has worked a little better
than the K10 with flash from all my usage (lots of weddings and
portraits with both).  So far, the K-x seems to do a little better
with metering than the K20.  Not having needed as much flash because
of the high ISO capability, I haven't done extensive comparisons.  I
am pretty confident that it will outperform the K10D.

I can say that right now, the K-x is more my primary camera than the
K20, which is more of a primary camera than the K10.  There are very
few things the K20 can do better than the K-x.  If I had to choose
one body, it would probably be the K-x.  As it stands right now, if I
only take one body with me, it is the K-x.  If I take both bodies,
the K-x is the primary.  I strongly suspect you would do the same
with your K10.

I hope this helps.

--
Bruce