> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:13:30PM +0100, Bob W scripsit:
> > [...]
> > He won a legal battle a few years ago against a toilet paper
> > manufacturer who used a Penrose tiling on their paper to
> make it less bulky when rolled.
> > They were judged to have stolen his idea, but I can't help thinking
> > how wonderful it would be if some junior bogroll designer
> had come up
> > with the same idea...
>
> I seem to recall that there are some medieval mosques with
> tiling patterns that use Penrose tiling, so someone seems to
> have managed it empirically.  (At least; if they published
> back then, it is not known to
> survive.)

These are from the Alhambra (the one in Granada, not the one in Bradford):
<http://www2.spsu.edu/math/tile/grammar/moor.htm>

I think they kept this sort of thing a closely guarded secret.
Coincidentally I was looking at a tiling program earlier this week, just out
of curiosity and because I like Islamic tiling. Whether or not they were
Penrose tilings I don't know - I'm not a mathematician - but the authors of
this software approach it from the mathematical point of view.
<http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~csk/washington/taprats/>

Bob