On Apr 11, 2010, at 5:29 PM, paul stenquist wrote:

On Apr 11, 2010, at 8:00 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

I'm trying to tie up the final details for the show.

I don't understand how the pricing of the art works as there is both an "asked for" and a "minimum" price on the form. Is there some sort of consensus on what people are asking for their prints?

If someone wants me to come shoot photos for them, I can come up with a value for my time. If someone says they like one of my photos, chances are that it's a friend and my response is likely to be along the lines of, "sure, Costco charges me $3 for a 16x20, why don't you buy me lunch when I give it to you".

Only you can determine what your work is worth. If you've displayed in galleries before, you probably have an idea. But if not, figure you'll want to recoup the cost of printing and framing, plus the 30% the gallery gets, plus a small profit. That will probably bring you to a number close to $300 as an asking price.

That makes sense. I just don't want to put on a price that is entirely out of line from what other people are asking.

Then how low would you go just to unload the print. Shipping it back home adds more to your cost.. That being said, photography is a tough sell in any gallery that I've ever seen. Showing in a gallery is more about having fun and self promotion. It's not a good way to earn a living.

I'm sure of that. For me the show is almost entirely about the ego strokes, and the excuse to go to chicago and hang out with pdmlers.

Also, if there isn't any sort of limited edition, if more than one person wants to buy a photo, would Mark be willing to print more copies, and what would he charge to do so?

I would guess multiple sales are unlikely. (See selling my comment about selling photography in a gallery above.). Generally, when a print is gone from a show, it's gone.

Ah, I see. I didn't even know how that worked, whether someone would not get it until after the show was over, or if it would get taken as soon as it was sold.