That's because they *are* nothing but minor politicians. Years ago, in the small town that I grew up in, a local businessman provided the school buses for our school district. A small business that employed maybe 1/2 dozen drivers plus himself. He was making a living at the business but not gouging anybody, either.

A hot-shot young lawyer moved into town and told the school board they couldn't just hire him year after year without competing bids. The following year a large bus company with state-wide contracts out bid him and literally put him out of business. I don't know if he ever recovered financially from that.

-p