It can be a safety issue too. The ash is fine as talc. Heard an interview on NPR yesterday with a retired British Airways captain. Flying a route near Indonesia several decades ago in a 747. Dark night, no moon, flew into an ash cloud at 30 some thousand feet. All four engines quit - the crew finally got them restarted decending though 12,000 ft.

-p