Thanks, Jack.

I just took the shots this morning, and I will go back and work on
them a bit more, especially with regard to the excessive highlights.

No, I did not use flash.  I seldom use flash, for a variety of
reasons.  This morning all I had was the internal flash, and in my
experience that works for filling in shadows on people's faces
occasionally, but not very well for shots with a lot of depth.  I may
try to go back with my other camera and flash, but I will have to get
there early so as not to disturb the staff and customers.  Taking
images without flash is less disruptive, of course.

Dan