I've had good luck, too, with AVG on a desktop and two laptops and Avast on another laptop. I haven't found a way to disable the anti-virus on AVG for software installs, but so far it hasn't been a factor.

-p

On 4/23/2010 11:12 AM, P. J. Alling wrote:
I've been using Avast on two of my machines and AVG on my laptop. I've had no problems so far, knock silicon. Both seem to be fast, lightweight and except for AVAST which when the Virus database is updated announces it loudly over the PC's audio system, unobtrusive. Oh and both products are free for non commercial use.

On 4/23/2010 9:41 AM, drd1...@gmail.com wrote:
What security software do folks suggest?
-----Original Message-----
From: "P. J. Alling"<webstertwenty...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 02:50:54
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List<pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: OT Bug hits XP machines - of interest to network managers

On 4/22/2010 6:39 PM, Adam Maas wrote:
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Charles Robinson<charl...@visi.com> wrote:

On Apr 22, 2010, at 16:29, P. J. Alling wrote:

On 4/22/2010 3:25 PM, mike wilson wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/mcafee-update--shutting-down-xp-machines/

Then I'm really pleased I didn't buy McAfee.

Stay the hell away from Symantec's bloatware, too - if you want your machine to not be chewing up 50% of its CPU just to run antivirus scanning....

   -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - charl...@visi.com

Norton IS a virus, and more destructive than most. I do have to
applaud Symantec though, it's not just anybody who can make a business
model of getting people to pay good money to have their data mangled
and computers rendered inoperative.

To paraphrase Yogi Berra; If Peter Norton were alive today, this would
kill him.

01:31:00