On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:59 AM, Sandy Harris <sandyinch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The K-X is not far off.
>
> I just went to DP Review & used their side-by-side feature to
> compare Pentax K-X vs Panasonic G2.
>
> Panny  124 x 84 x 74 mm (4.9 x 3.3 x 2.9 in)
> Pentax 123 x 92 x 68 mm (4.8 x 3.6 x 2.7 in)
>
> Awfully close. Put a Pentax Limited lens on it and the K-x
> might actually be smaller overall.
>
> Panny 428 g (15.1 oz) and Pentax 580 g (20.5 oz)
> A significant difference there, mainly because the K-X
> uses AA batteries.

Not smaller, the G1 (same size as the G2) with one of the Pancakes is
the same size as the K-x with no lens due to the ~25mm register
difference. They look closer on paper because the handgrip is the
limiting factor for depth on the bare bodies and also on the G1 with
the m.Zuiko 17 mounted, All the limiteds are deep enough to project at
least slightly in front of the grip so the size difference grows with
a lens mounted.

Neither is shirt-pocketable, both are coat pocketable. I find they
complement each other very well. The G1's the better minimalist-carry
camera as well as better on a tripod (as it has a remote release, a
flip-twist LCD which makes shooting with the tripod not at eyelevel
easy and it does a countdown on the LCD for exposures over 1 second)
and also it's nicer for manual focus. The K-x does low-light and
action better, and I prefer the pair of DA kit zooms (I've got the
18-55 II and 50-200) over those for the G1 (Using the kit 14-45 OIS
and an adapted 4/3rds 40-150 f4-5.6).

If you want a nice pocketable camera with a Pentax collection, a
Pentax 43mm f1.9 Special, a LTM-m43 adapter and a GF1 or E-P2 would
make a nice como, you'd probably want either the Panasonic 20/1.7 or
the Oly 17/2.8 pancakes for a wide-normal to complement the
portrait-length 43.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca