I think I found this link in the thread from where Mark announced he
was switching to Sony... but I hang with a bunch of Canon lovers, so I
was interested in what this reviewer had to say about the 5D Mark II:
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008/12/sony-vs-nikon-v.html

It gets really interesting (and on-topic for a Pentax discussion)
towards the end when he says:
"The 5D Mark II is a brilliant camera in many ways. It has more, and
better, of most of the good things we like. But my holistic overall
impression is that its images just look more digital, in some
fundamental way, rather than just "photographic." To test that
impression, I compared it with what is becoming my "Old Trusty," the
Pentax K20D, a currently $810 camera with a really good APS-C sized
sensor (and which I also don't own, N.B.) The 5D Mark II is better
than the 14.6-megapixel K20D. But it's not that much better. If the 5D
Mark II lags behind the D700 by not-quite-a-stop in high-ISO noise,
then the K20D lags behind the 5D Mark II also by
not-quite-a-stop—certainly it looks at least as good at ISO 1250 as
the Canon looks at ISO 2500 (and yes, I ran the tests). And the Canon
does indeed have more resolution—but not that much more resolution. A
paper size, maybe? Maybe a tad less? "

I think, in a nutshell, that captures what I like about my Pentax.
It's a DSLR, but it is so "photographic" in its results (in the very
best analog sense of the word).

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE
--
 "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."
                                            ~ Dorothea Lange

"98% of all cameras and lenses are sharper than 99% of all photographers."
                                           ~ Anonymous