----- Original Message ----- From: "Adam Maas"
Subject: Re: Macro lens recommendation needed. [Scanned][Spam score:8%]

In fact the Tamron 90 is somewhat legendary as a portrait lens. But
the AF on the AF version is so slow as to be useless for anything that
you can't reliably track in manual focus. Long focus throws are the
bane of AF performance and a requirement in macros.

I expect that this is where a focus limiter would be useful.
I just had a look at my A100/2.8 Macro (which is a lens I would not reccomend to anyone with a DSLR). The focus throw is almost a full turn from infinity to closest focus, but from infinity to 1 meter is perhaps 1/10 of that. You don't get into the long throw part until you are also in the closer than normal focus range.
I wonder if the Tamron doesn't have a slow gear train.

William Robb