Without picking at them in Photoshop: The image with the ropes is the
digital one, since the Leica picture was taken for a commercial job,
and they would have removed the ropes and taken care of the ugly
reflection on the table for something like that.

If the guy wants people to tell from the picture quality itself, he
should provide full-res images. Scale the Leica neg scan so it is the
same size as the digital picture, crop to a size that is manageable
via the web, and we'll see.

Or send 11x14s in the mail.

:-)