It limits the focus range. My DFA 100 macro doesn't have one so I can't be too
precise but if IIRC, if you are in the close-in focus range and engage the
limiter, it keeps the AF search for focus within that close-in range. If you
are in a far-off range, the limiter keeps the AF from trying to focus down to
close in. All of which reduces the search time. As others have alluded, one
feature of macros is that the helix gearing in the focusing mechanism is
designed so that you get very slight focus changes with a movement of the focal
ring - it is much less sensitive than normal lenses and this makes it easier to
do fine focus. The downside is that it takes more turning to move from minimum
distance to infinity, and the limiter is a way to compensate.

stan