On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:39 +0100, "Bob W" <p...@web-options.com> wrote:
> One of the fascinating aspects of long-term participation in the PDML is
> the
> soap opera aspect - reading and hearing about the changes in everyone's
> lives - marriages, babies, house moves, illnesses, work and so on. In the
> time I've been on it I have had about 7 different jobs, mainly contracts.
> For the last 5 years I've been in the same job, but for 3 different
> companies as a result of mergers and acquisitions.
>
> Well, the long-trailed process of redundancy finally began today with a
> meeting of all of us who are 'at risk of redundancy'. They have to follow
> clearly-defined process but some time in the next 2-6 weeks I'll be
> available again.
>
> Fortunately I have 5 years of continuity and we have a good redundancy
> package, so I will come away with about 7 months' pay, of which 5 are
> tax-free. With modest outgoings, no debts other than a relatively low
> mortgage, some small savings, and with even my holiday already paid for,
> it'll be a while before the wolf's at the door so I'm not bothered about
> it
> yet.
>
> But no new toys for a while... :o(
>
> Bob

Allow me to add my best wishes to those already expressed - hope all
works out as you would like.

I've been twice redundant during my career.  The last time it was
offered, my 60th birthday was a matter of weeks away and my hand was up
in a flash.  One downside to enforced free time, though, is that you
discover all of the odd jobs that you've tactfully ignored in the past.
Eventually you run out of excuses.....

Cheers

Brian
Brian Walters