From: Adam Maas
On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 7:44 PM, paul stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I've had a dozen macs. No failures other than hard drives. My daughter's
i-book failed when she tripped over the ethernet cord and broke the port off the
motherboard. I thought that was crappy design, but nothing else has ever failed.

> Surprised you had to go back to the failure issue from the i Tunes
discussion. Too much Apple anger out there, guys. It's not healthy:-).

> Paul

Just a note here regarding line wrap. I understand the idea of not setting a default line length and letting the line wrap to whatever size the viewers window is.

Problem is, when someone quotes that text, the quoted text DOES NOT WRAP in subsequent windows.

Not surprised there, you're talking about a reasonably small sample
size from a reasonably reliable maker. I'm surprised that Joseph
hasn't if he was supporting or administrating them professionally
though.

I can just about count all my personal hardware failures on a pair of
hands, and almost half that is Seagate IDE/SATA drives from 1997-on.
Other than that, I've had a PSU failure, a few couple fans, two
mainboard failures and a pair of optical drives along witha  couple
non-Seagate Drive failures. One of the optical drives was the only
major brand-name failure I've had aside from drive failures (Two of
the Seagates were in LaCie enclosures, one was in an HP Laptop, one
was actually purchased directly and was the first of the lot and the
drive in my PowerMac 8500 croaked). Oh, and an iPod Shuffle that locks
up whenever it sees a VBR MP3.

Oddly enough, while I've had a number of Western Digital IDE Hard-Drives fail over the years, I've never had a Seagate IDE Hard-Drive fail? But then, over the years I've had more Western Digital Drives than Seagate Drives (about 4:1), so that might account for it.

Might be worth considering when thinking about the relative reliability of Micro$oft vs. Apple. Figure if you have a 9:1 PC:Mac (or whatever it is) ratio in the market, you can expect more problems from PCs.

If you ONLY see PCs or Macs, you're going to see reliability issues with ONLY PCs or Macs. The question is does one or the other give more or less problem in relation to its share of the market. I don't think either does really, although Mac suffers some in that respect simply because of its smaller market share. The onus is on Apple to make it work with the broader computing world, and I'm not convinced they're doing that.

I'm no fan of Micro$oft and only stick with it for now because I don't want to bother learning Linux ... although I might have to at some point in the future. But Linux at least is a really OPEN system. I'm not locked into a single vendor's idea of what computing should be able to do for me.

And that's the problem I have with Apple and the Mac. It's a closed system. Ultimately, Steve Jobs gets to say what I can do with a Mac or any other Apple product, although I'm sure Bill Gates would love to have the same power over PCs running Windoze if he could have achieved it.