Larry Colen wrote:

It wasn't until I started thinking about packing that I realized that my 'sturdy' tripod won't fit in my carry one luggage.

I'm not going to have time to do something about it this week, but I did some quick research anyways, and the benro travel angel tripods seem pretty interesting. Does anyone have experience with them?

Are their quick release heads by any chance compatible with the "generic manfrotto mount"?

Does anyone have a smaller, reasonably sturdy tripod that does fit in carry on (under 18" folded) that they really like? Preferably not too horribly expensive.

One of the reasons I like the Benbo two parter is that one is allowed a walking stick as carry on. In that role it has never been questioned. Nor, in my opinion, properly examined. The temptation to see if I could get a sword stick on board is tempered only by my fear of the consequences of discovery.