I'll admit to being tempted to buy one but never bit the bullet.

John
From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Anthony Farr
[farranth...@gmail.com]
Sent: 05 May 2010 06:35
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Long lens updates [Scanned] [Spam score:8%]

On 2 May 2010 06:53, Joseph McAllister <pentax...@mac.com> wrote:

> Heck, you can get a 250-1200 on eBay for only $280. Why wait!   :-)

On the occasions that I notice that 250-1200mm lens, I think WTF?  And
then I wonder things like "who the hell makes this lens, how awful can
it be and what's it really like?".

But my mind goes back to all those generic stovepipe  400mm and 500mm
teles that IIRC were made by Tamron and sold under countless in-house
brand names at countless camera stores around the world, usually for
$49.99.  In their day they were sneered at as cheap and nasty
imitations of lenses for the use of cheap and nasty imitators of
photographers.  But somewhere in the years between, while I was
looking elsewhere, these lenses became cult classics, fondly regarded
for their good performance at modest prices.  Again, WTF?

SO, has anybody ever read a review of these 250-1200 cheapies?  Or
used one and is prepared to admit to it?

regards, Anthony

   "Of what use is lens and light
    to those who lack in mind and sight"
                                               (Anon)