> > Well done - I'm very impressed by anyone who can run further than I
> > can.
> > Which is to say, I'm very impressed by most people who can run. The
> > furthest I've ever run without stopping is 5 miles, and
> that took me
> > nearly an hour.
>
> As am I. I used to walk a six mile circuit every day and I'd
> like to be able to run that. I doubt I'd do a mile at
> present. I take the camera with me on the walks though!
>
> Malcolm

I started jogging about 5 years ago, having not run outdoors since school,
and only on the treadmill when I had gym membership. I followed a plan I
found on a squash training site (I'd started playing squash again, and
needed to fitten up) which basically tells you to build up slowly on
alternate days.

<http://www.unc.edu/student/orgs/squash/Squash_Fitness/squash_fitness.html>

Scroll down to "Conditioning Suggestions from Coach Tom Generous". I
followed that to the letter, and it worked. One of the key psychological
tricks I used for cold, wet, windy, rainy winter evenings was to tell myself
to go out and I would not regret it, but if I didn't go out I would regret
it. That worked too. I also think it's important to have a pleasant circuit
to run.

Once I was able to run for 20 minutes easily I started extending it until I
was running 5 miles in about 55 minutes, but at that stage my knees started
to suffer, so I cut back. My normal run at the moment is about 3.5 miles in
30 minutes, and I'd like to build up the running time again, gradually.

Last year I had a problem with my iliotibial band, and stopped for a while,
and I've found it quite hard to get back up to a decent level again for
various reasons. However, I think I have now got back into the routine.

Bob