I was asked to do some photo sessions at a party this weekend.
I tried to take care not to blow out the red channel when I was setting the exposure, but when I looked at the photos in LR on my mac the reds seemed somewhat orangey, and the dayglow pink and the dayglow orange had lost a lot of their "pop" and their saturation.

Was this a case of my misreading the histogram, or the histogram being based on JPEG and not RAW so it wasn't really showing the red channel blowing out? In future situations, should I leave more headroom in the exposure?

Interestingly, on my work PC, the red doesn't seem quite as orangey as it did at home, but that may be because it's a 600 pixel wide version rather than a 24" iMac display, different curves or something:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/4613138036/sizes/o/in/set-72157623949690373/

In a related issue, I'd like to get a 23" or so vertical second display for my iMac for working on images in "portrait" composition. Has anyone recently gone through the research shopping for one?