What a nice report, Christine. Didn't know there was now a Russian Tea Room in Chicago . Wish I'd chatted up Darrell more, too. And met your parents -- though maybe I did - things were blurry that night and I dont even drink.

Hugs,
ann

Christine Aguila wrote:

Now that work has let up, I'd like to share a few thoughts.

1) I'd like to say big thanks for all the kind words about the exhibit and reception etc. I'm glad everyone had a good time and is generally pleased
with the gallery.  Just a FYI, two colleagues from work went to DANK last
Thursday. They had nothing but great things to say about the pictures they saw.

2) My husband, Darrel, & I did our best to get our friends and family out to
help support the exhibit, and a good many of them showed up, which was
great, but at the reception we received sad news about a dear friend, which put the two of us on the edge of tears, but we were able to rally back. Two
of my oldest girl friends came in from the far northern suburbs, and
visiting with them led to giggles and stories from memory lane--a lot of
those stories I'd like to forget. And work colleagues came, and I suspect a few more will go in the weeks ahead. My mom and dad came, and I had to stop my mom from walking off with one of the PDML annuals. She thought it was a
give-away.  My sibs came; the only one that didn't show was my eldest
nephew, but since it was his prom night, I didn't make much of a fuss over
his no-show. He sent me a text message, "have a good time at ur thing
2night."  Darrel & I didn't leave DANK until maybe 1am.

3) Then I got up to meet folks at the Art Institute, which was a great idea. At the Eggelston exhibit, Chris Mitchell was bombarded with questions from a woman who self-identified herself as someone who doesn't know anything about photography. Chris found himself explaining depth of field and why there was more of it in some photos and less of it in others. I'm happy to report, Chris was courteous and patient.

4) After the Art Institute, Boris, Jostein, Sasha, Larry, Miserere, and I went to the Russian Tea Room, but before going, Boris and Sasha argued about which Russian Tea was the best, and it ended with Boris swearing at Sasha in Russian. Everyone agreed that this little set-to made our Russian lunch more authentic. We let the two Russians pick our after lunch tea. Boris said it was too heavy on the smoky bit and too light on the black tea part, but he said the food was good, so we all decided we liked our lunch. At lunch Sasha showed us some of his prints which were great, and we had a look-see at Jostein's photo book from Antarctica, which was great as well.

5) After the Russian Tea room, we just romped in the park a bit, then it was time to eat again--this time pizza, which was good, and it was fun to visit.

6) After pizza, good-bys were said to some, and it was another romp in the park for others, but folks complained the music was too loud, and we headed for Miller's Pub--finally, a chance to relax. I had a very stiff scotch, a few smokes with Doug, and conversation with any PDMLer who was willing. Then the calling hour came and my last good-by was to Miserere. The PDMLers were gone, and I was alone. I moseyed back over to the Art Institute, sat on the steps, and called my husband. While I waited for him, a woman walked by with her dog. It was a handsome dog. He sniffed about my shoes. I asked the woman if she knew the time. I asked for the name of the dog--Spot something. Some comments about it being a nice night were exchanged, and soon the two of them strolled off. I then began to wish for a tripod. Had I one, I would have taken a self-portrait of me alone on the steps of the Art Institute--hell, I'd come full circle, hadn't I?

Cheers, Christine