Sorry to hear this Larry.

You were asking earlier about what to charge for some party/celebration shots.
General rule of thumb for the self-employed: charge twice what you would earn
per hour if regularly employed. E.g., if you are earning (or could be earning)
$40/hr then charge $80/hr. The 100% increase accounts for the fact that you
have to pay your own SS tax, health care etc. that you might get with a
company. Plus you won't work as many hours per year, you need to spend time
doing marketing etc.

Look at your salary where you were recently employed. Was that enough to live
on? Apply the 100% rule-of-thumb and use that as a starting point when consider
what you should charge to your photography clients. (Or if you have an offer of
employment as a "consultant.")

Best of luck in landing your next job.

stan