Yes Ann, you are quite correct and it is indeed an Ocotillo, my bad.  Should
not have listened to the person who advised me.  Yes, I had made an executive
decision not to clone out that tree trunk and I will wait a bit and hope those
buds erupt and make a better image next time.

Thanks for your help and advice.