From: Bob Sullivan
John,

Depth of field with the lens set on A will go to f22 (or whatever is the max).
I don't remember it ever going to f4, even though the camera was set
that way electronically.
That DOF preview is purely mechanical.
You have to twist the aperture mechanically to f4 to see f4 with DOF preview.

Think legacy operation based on where the DOF preview lever is.
With the digitals, DOF preview is hooked into the electronics and
located by the shutter release.
(MZ-S too)

Regards,  Bob S.

But when I was taking the photo did it stop down to f/4 or f/22?

I can live with the DOF preview stopping down to f/22 in the 'A' position, but it's gonna' be a real bummer if I'm two thirds of the way through and find out everything I've done so far was screwed up.

I'm still planning to shoot extra subjects just in case, but it's not easy for me talking people into letting me stick a camera right up in their face.