I have a couple of friends that when they were something like 3 & 5 (it was before I knew them, I didn't meet the older brother until we were 7) took the family car out for a drive, with one standing on the seat and steering while the other worked the pedals.

we used to do that, although we were a bit older - our father taught us to drive round the beach on Anglesey. It was an Austin A30 a bit like this:
<http://www.usefilm.com/images/3/2/4/1/3241/829780-medium.jpg>

A few years before, when we lived in Australia, we had an Austin Seven. My sister, aged about 3 at the time, fell out at speed (probably about 7 miles per hour) and bounced along the road. Didn't seem to do her any harm though.

Bob