By market cap, but that only measures what the circulatiing stock is worth, not how big a company actually is. A bad trading day and Microsoft could be back on top, a bad trading week and Apple could lose half it's value, (the same is true for Microsoft, but that's beside the point). How much of that depends on the Magic of Steve Jobs. If he announced tomorrow that he'd have to leave Apple for health reasons would the stock nosedive? Apple hasn't made many missteps in product introduction in the last few years. Their stock price has hit the stratosphere, but that doesn't make Apple bigger tham M$ in any objective sense.

On 6/1/2010 2:42 PM, paul stenquist wrote:
On Jun 1, 2010, at 2:21 PM, P. J. Alling wrote:
Apple has been playing on MS's turf all along without making major inroads into
their core business.

Diversity has its benefits:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/27/technology/27apple.html

On 6/1/2010 1:49 PM, William Robb wrote:
On 01/06/2010 11:24 AM, steve harley wrote:
On 2010-06-01 08:46 , P. J. Alling wrote:
Google is a competitor with Microsoft, they both want the same thing,
TWD, total world domination, Now Linux and Apple may want the same thing
but for a number of reasons that's unlikely with either. Why give
sustenance to your enemy?
uh, Google and Apple are the more obvious sparring partners at this point

It is possible to have more than one competitor at a time.

My issue with Apple is simple, to a non iProduct user all the iProducts except
the Mac look like varioations on the same thing.

iPod, tune player that has enough software to work as a game player and PDA

iPhone iPod with Phone capability.

iPad Overgrown iPod with possible phone capability in the future.

Mac, good reliable yet overpriced computer using an OS substantially
incompatible with the OS on 80-90% of the rest of the personal computers in the
world.

My issue with Linux, is it's a loose consortium of Geeks both profit and
decidedly non profit, who have two things in common, a general disdain, for
Microsoft and all it's works, and an inveterate urge to tinker, it's product
may be reliable, but it will also tend to be geeks have blind spots, (I know I
do), usually leading to problems along the line of, what do you mean it's hard
to do that, it's easy, just follow these simple steps and then...

Much as I'd like to see Linux take off, it doesn't give me confidence, and
Apple has been playing on MS's turf all along without making major inroads into
their core business.

If Microsoft gets it's act back together, easier said than done, it may make
Google more than a bit uncomfortable.  In the past MS hasn't been above dirty
tricks to maintain it's market share and probably wouldn't be above such
activities in gaining market share either.  But MS has the power of inertia
behind it.  Apple doesn't.

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Courier
New;}}