So, I decided to update my less than 1 year old TomTom and the bastards want me to pay for the pleasure. Now, there is nothing wrong with the unit, it just kinda irks me.
So, what's a good GPS unit?
I'm interested in either a Garmin or a Magellan since I now have a hate on for the folks at TomTom. Is this a situation where the more you spend the better you get? Or does it really matter? One thing about the TomTom that I don't like is that it often takes 5 minutes or more to find a signal, this being in the countryside, so it's not like as if I'm trying to find my way across downtown Chicago with the thing. Do any of the units have a reputation for better back road maps? Can any of the units be updated on the fly?
etc.....

Thanks
--

William Robb