On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 6:14 PM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I took it as a reference to early match-lock muskets that were fired > with
> the barrel supported by a cleft stick.

I don't think so.

From some of the other responses, I don't think that's what they were referring to.

I now think it's literary reference to a character in the book being sent off on a snipe hunt.

A cleft stick is required to hold a bundle of messages in its cleavage. The messengers run from sender to recipient holding the stick aloft in their hand. The barrel-supporting sticks could not be used for this, certainly not over the rough terrain of the Abyssinian highlands - the messages would simply fall out and risk being eaten by hyenas.

No, I think the matchlock sticks are cut from a forking branch.

A cleft stick must be explicitly cloven. The Imperial Abyssinian Post Office probably has a Department of Stick Cleaving for the purpose. In fact (drum roll...) they have one in every branch (cue side-splitting laughter).

Bob