From: Joseph McAllister
You can use your Mac (iMac, MacBook, Whatever) right out of the box. Just like you can drive a new car off the lot without looking at the manual. But just like your car, you had better sit down and read the owner's manual and get an inkling of when to change the oil, where the fuse panel is, and a plethora of other niceties that will make your ownership for the life of the product more enjoyable and comfortable to operate.

Many new Mac users do not read manuals until something goes wrong. It's in their genes, and external programming that makes them think it is so. The same is true of 90% of folks who buy a new car. Of course, these days you just wait until an reminder pops up on the screen in your dash for most maintenance. Probably a diagram if you want to know where the rear wiper cleaning fluid reservoir is so you can fill it. That capability, by the way, probably cost you more than a new Mac would.

You can do the same with a Windoze computer. Based on my experience so far, it's easier to get the Windoze computer to do what *I* want it to do right out of the box without reading the FM, than it is to get the Mac to do what *I* want it to do EVEN AFTER I'VE READ the FM.

Admittedly, I am already familiar with Windoze, and know how to nuke quite a lot of the useless bullshit. And what I can't nuke, I can effectively hide so it will mainly leave me alone to get on with what I want to do.

The Mac won't allow me to kill the useless bullshit and it won't allow me to hide it. And the manual is just LIES, ALL LIES!