John,

Thanks for your detailed reviews of TCs. When someone takes the time to
share his test results in such detail, it spares list members like me from
wasting money on turkeys.

But my question about "effective aperture" remains unanswered. It's clear
enough that by multiplying the focal length, you reduce depth of field. I'm
asking this: Given that a 1.4X reduces depth of field, do you get some of
it back because your lens's f/5.6 setting is now effectively f/8?

John Mustarde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You get less DOF when adding a TC, assuming the lens-with-TC and the
same bare lens are both wide open and focused on a subject the same
distance away.
So a 300/2.8 + 1.4X TC = 420mm/f4, focused at 21 feet will have less
DOF than a bare 300/2.8 focused the same 21 feet distance.

13 Selby Court
Poolesville, Maryland 20837-2410
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
H (301) 349-5243