On Jun 3, 2010, at 7:40 AM, AlunFoto wrote:

2010/6/3 paul stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>:
I've restored from Time Machine on a number of occasions without difficulty. It seems to do an excellent job without my having to take any real action. It even backs up my encrypted files and enables restoration of them if they're lost or inadvertently altered.

Thanks Paul. :-)

two questions...
I know you're an advanced user... Have you verified, by manual means
or otherwise, that all the data you wish to back up are being
included?

The ultimate purpose of a backup is restore. Do you have any
experience with restoring data from a Time Machine (TM)?

Im not really an advanced user in the manner of all the IT people that populate this list. I learn only what I need to know. But Time Machine has worked fine for me. I restored my full startup drive after replacing a noisy unit, and every file and app performed flawlessly, as near as I could tell. Still running on the restored system and apps.

I have no idea if Time Machine is a perfect solution, but it works fine for me. I rely on it to back up the 600 gig startup drive only. and it writes to a second 500 gig drive. The startup drive is only about 1/3 full and it pretty much stays at that level. The Time Machine backup is 90% full, and it stays at that level. I believe it automatically discards the oldest backups at that point.

I keep my photo files on eight external drives. Two of the largest are backup only. I transfer critical files to those manually about once a week or whenever I have important files on hand. The most important files are on three drives. I also have a set of DVD backups for photo files. I also back up some critical files to on-line servers.
Paul

Jostein

Jostein

--