What you really want is a lens optimized to have a flat depth of field. Pentax made one - a 100mm for a screw mount.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "J.C. O'Connell" <hifis...@gate.net>
Subject: RE: Macro bellows: fifty bucks!

using a "regular" 50mm might work, but not as well
as a dedicated macro bellows lens will work. Another
low cost but high performance solution is to use a enlarging lens via
adapter. Those are similar to a macro bellows lens.

--
J.C. O'Connell (mailto:hifis...@gate.net)
Join the CD PLAYER & DISC Discussions :

-----Original Message-----
From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Adam
Maas
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 12:53 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Just had to share this apparent gem.

Kirk Tuck in his blog points out a great macro bellows deal, a
Fotodiox for $49.95 US at Amazon.

He has tested it (on Canon) and found it to be as advertised, tough
and accurate.

Kirk's blog entry: http://is.gd/cCu8R

A link to the Pentax flavour of it at Amazon.com is:
http://is.gd/cCuc9

I think even I can afford this! The only showstopper for me is that
my only macro lens is a DA Ltd and as such has no aperture ring. I'd
have to try the reversing ring trick with my old SMC 50mm or rummage
around for a deal on an old macro.

Has anyone here tried one out by any chance?

-bmw

I haven't tried that particular one, but I've used bellows before. Note you
can use a regular 50mm on it, no need for a macro lens as the Bellows will
provide plenty of extension (my current bellows gets 2:1 magnification with
a 50mm lens).

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca