I recently asked the list about his topic....the Ortlieb camera insert
for the handlebar bag was recommended... I've ordered it, but it
hasn't arrived yet, so I haven't been able to give it a try.  I like
the idea of being able to remove the handlebar bag easily when I leave
the bike, but it sounds like you tote more gear than I would, so I'm
not sure the handlebar bag would be roomy enough.

Here's another interesting solution I came across, a Pelican case
outfitted as pannier:
http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/briefcase_pannier.html

Of course, what I really need is a nice, compact (EVIL?) camera to
tote around on vacation....   :)  Anybody have one of those that they
like?

-c