Excellent advice, Cotty. Just printed this out for future reference. Cheers, Christine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cotty" <cotty...@mac.com>
To: "pentax list" <PDML@pdml.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:46 AM
Subject: Re: GESO slideshow - noba

On 15/6/10, Derby Chang, discombobulated, unleashed:

I wrote a little love letter to Sydney

http://members.iinet.net.au/~derbyc/10/10_06/10_06_bathurst/01.htm

Very nice Derbs. That's a lot of shots.

May i make a suggestion to anyone doing a slideshow with music that
effectively locks in the viewer to the presentation? Rather than set a
simple time limit on each pic of (say) 3 seconds and go for quantity -
start from a different perspective. By this I mean, cull the shots and
show the best ones, but let them breathe - and do the mixes (dissolves)
manually. This takes a long time to do but the rewards can be greater.

So for Derby's slideshow, I would have started with less music length -
3 to 4 minutes max. In that time we can get in maybe 10 or 12 shots a
minute instead of 20! Then you have to 'feel' the transition points
rather than set a numerical value. You do this by watching the edit in
real time (1X speed) and 'feel' the transition coming and think about
what you want to see next. For a presentation such as this, each picture
arguably has a natural length to view but they are not all the same.
It's not something I can easily explain - but it comes from the heart -
knowing how long is just right. For some pics, 3 seconds is okay, but
for most it's too short. Legs need time :-)

When I look for a point to mix from one shot to another, the mix
duration becomes a factor. A one second mix means that the half-way
point is half-a second into/out of the mix - so the midpoint is the
point I aim at imagining as I watch in real time. I play, have my finger
ready over the pause button (JKL - anyone who's ever edited video will
be intimate with these keys in any system = J is -1X, K is stop, L is
+1X speed) and as you imagine the mix happening, you hit stop in the
middle of it. Tricky with 12 and 18 frame mixes, and even more tricky
with 4 second mixes, but can be done. Get a feel for it. Easier with
still shots - try it with moving video :-)

The outgoing and incoming shots sometimes don't mix (dissolve) well -
crucial here to look at where the eye is going at the end of the
outgoing shot because this is also where the eye will be in the incoming
shot. Some shots will jar, so change the choice of incoming. Experience
will benefit here. Practice.

Nothing wrong with Derby's slideshow, but we strive to improve, right?
This could be so much better - if the desire is there to move it on into
something stellar.

Hope you don't mind the words Derbs.

Cheers

.02 (frames ;)