2010/6/21 Adam Maas <a...@mawz.ca>:

>>> [...] Since current WiFi tech is based off of Ethernet, your
>>> wireless adapter will have a MAC address (which may be
>>> shared with the ethernet port or unique to the wifi controller).
>>
>> The latter would be el cheapo in the worst way as you wouldn't be able
>> to have connections open on wired and wireless LAN at the same time. I
>> doubt that even exists to be honest.
>
> Actually it's not terribly cheap and doesn't prevent you having wired
> and wireless connections unless your WAP is very cheap and functions
> as a bridge rather than a proper access point (with a separate
> wireless segment). MAC addresses need to be unique on the network
> segment, not globally (they are assigned as globally unique to ensure
> this, but don't actually have to be). Most hardware has at least
> limited MAC reassignment capabilities these days and it's a waste of
> MAC address space to assign two MAC addresses to the same piece of
> silicon so it sometimes doesn't happen.

bear with me if i am getting something wrong but if two physical
interfaces using the same MAC are both connected how will the IP stack
know what to route where? is this done simply by eth0 thru x mappings
or what am i missing out on? and can you name an example of such
hardware, please? and why would anyone risk their product running into
the unique per segment restriction? i know enough people who have
their laptops docked to their work LAN and the wireless on that the
same time into their work LAN without routed/separated segments - IRL
and in small firms this does happen more often than not
cheers
ecke