After work today, I went over to spend some time with Will Connell, Jr. who had
asked me over to take a look at the wiring on his stereo system. Will is a
great artist who creates incredible wooden sculptures. His stereo cabinet and
speakers were built by him in the 1960's.

After sorting out the wiring he invited me to take a look at a number of
original prints made by his father, "the old man," as Will always refers to
him. I was completely blown away.

The photographs from his Hollywood years when he worked as a studio portratist
were just amazing. Original studio glamor shots of Ginger Rogers, Myrna Loy,
Mary Brian, Irene Dunne, Charles Laughton, Errol Flynn and others. One was a
color photo of a young Mickey Rooney as a promo for "Out West With The Hardy's"
from 1938. Absolutely amazing images. Some of his Hollywood work is here:

http://www.cmp.ucr.edu/collections/permanent/object_genres/photographers/connell/connell_archive/wc_groEN.html

I also got to see some of his other pictorial work, commercial photography, and
photos and portraits of family friends. Some of these were notable figures
including Lloyd Wright who remodeled Connell's home and back porch in Los
Angeles. The best part of all though was leafing through the original mock-up
that Connell did for his famous book "In Pictures: A Hollywood Satire" which he
used as he was shopping around for a publisher. Seeing as how first editions of
the book go for thousands of dollars
(http://www.abaa.org/books/256477872.html), I'm sure that the mock-up is worth
a pretty penny indeed.

It was a real treat to be able to see all of these original prints and hear the
stories that Will tells of "the old man" and his incredible photographic life.

-Brendan

"I am a photographer because for me photography is the most satisfactory way of
talking to people. It's commercial photography because I also like to eat." -
Will Connell, 1949