2010/7/2 Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net>:

> My camera arrived today. It looks good. Very good. I haven't been able try it
> out, yet, other than checking out the manual and the menu options and
> settings. I could use some advice/feedback:

Congrats =) Here we go as far as I get

> [1] I don't have a data card. Have never had a need for one. All I know is I
> need an SD card. I gather they come in flavors. Cost is a consideration. Any
> recommendations?

SanDisk Ultra or Extreme series. 2 GB cards should be pretty cheap.
Buy from amazon itself, not marketplace if you choose to go through
them. There are lots of fake SanDisk cards out there.

> [2] When I look through the viewfinder without a lens installed, I see what
> look like flecks of dust here and there. Does that tell me anything about
> where they are? Is this something I can remedy or do I need competent
> technical help?

Three possible places: a) on the mirror, you can see those by just
looking into the body, b) more likely on the focusing screen, c) less
likely in the prism (*ist-D/Ds/2) /mirror (*ist-DL/2) portion above
the focusing screen. The dust will not show in your photos so it is a
matter of choice.

> Any reactions to my wanting to go manual? Any suggestions for other useful,
> not too terribly expensive, manual lenses that I might consider, e.g., one
> that would be closer to being equivalent to a 50mm on a film camera?

31 mm or so would be the equivalent. the neighboring 28 and 35 were
both pretty common focal lengths that should be available at a pretty
low cost

> I know these are hugely naive and elementary questions, but I am naive and
> very, very much a beginner at this point.

nothing wrong with that =)
cheers
ecke