Nice shot. Very tranquil.

You're right about the noise. Several swans took off and landed in front of Grace and me the other day when we were fishing. Quite a spectacle.
Paul

On Jul 3, 2010, at 11:30 AM, frank theriault wrote:

Didn't get many good photos from today's walk down at the lake (still
working on a few, but I don't think they'll make the cut), but this
one's not bad:

http://knarfdummyblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/swans-on-wing.html

I never realized that big old swans made so much noise when they fly;
you can hear them coming from a mile away.  Taken with *istD/Tokina
f2.8 80-200 manual focus.  I'm having lots of problems with the manual
focus - by the time I'm focused and get the exposure (no "A" setting,
so I'm on M with the green button), my subject inevitably moves on -
at least the birds do.

Anyway, hope you like this one.  Comments welcome.

cheers,
frank