Not bad, not bad!

It's obvious when you know - it's a ferradou, of course!

Here's the sign:
< http://www.web-options.com/Ferradou.jpg >

It says "This device or ferradou was used for shoeing oxen. It is situated
on the fairground, near the public weighscale, where Florac's 13 annual
fairs used to take place. There you could find 'beasts with horns' (bovines)
and 'beasts with wool' (ovines), pigs, horses and all sorts of merchandise.
In earlier times these fairs attracted the farming population from the
surrounding area and made up an essential element of the economic and social
life of the country. They were a place of exchange between neighouring
regions. These days cattle are no longer traded in this way, but more modest
fairs remain each month, such as a weekly market on Thursdays"

Here's one in use in the Basque country in the 1970s, as photographed by
William Albert Allard and published in his book "A Time We Knew":
< http://www.web-options.com/Ferradou-1.jpg >

Bob