Bob W wrote:

[...]

< http://www.web-options.com/Causse/ >
Comments welcome, but please note I already know I'm no Ansel Adams!

http://www.web-options.com/Causse/content/_6226656_large.html
Carline thistle Carlina acaulis

http://www.web-options.com/Causse/content/_6226670_large.html
Scarce swallowtail Papilio podalirius

http://www.web-options.com/Causse/content/_6267019_large.html
(and previous) Black-veined white Aporia crataegi

I'm not even going to hazard a guess at the orchids.

I'm very impressed that you got those thistles and the butterflies/moth
right. When I described the swallowtail to Alastair and Masha they both
immediately suggested hawk moth. Whatever. It was a lovely friendly little
creature with a very graceful soaring flight, almost never flapping its
wings.

The orchids were quite common. Alastair seemed to like them, but also did
not know more precisely what they are. I didn't even know they were orchids.

Orchids are the bonobos of the plant world. If you have two species growing in a place there will be 57 different hybrids, also.