Thanks to all of you for the kind welcomes and critiques!  I wish I
could take the time to write out a direct reply to each one of you,
but I'm about to have to head in to work for the day, and will be
working at both jobs for the next couple of days.  So, I'll be working
from 8:00 AM 'til around midnight until the weekend comes.  (Gotta
make that dollar to invest in lenses, you know.)

Suffice it to say I appreciate all the responses and will keep them in
mind in the future.  I do plan on picking up a good macro lens at some
point.  The Takumar I used is the f/2.5, and it's the Taiwan-made
version (it's my first lens purchase outside the two kit lenses).  I
didn't know a lot about it until AFTER I'd made the purchase.  Some of
the over-processed look is likely due to my trying to compensate for
the lens's softness with the camera's custom image settings.

I'm vacillating on what to get next -- a longer zoom for birding, or a
good, fast prime.  A lot will hinge on budget constraints.  I do enjoy
taking bird shots more than anything else -- at least at this point.
I started out trying to catch them in-flight simply because that
seemed like the most challenging shot to capture.  And I figured if I
can get that down, I'll learn a lot about manual focusing in the
process.

Again, thanks so much for the warm welcome.  I look forward to
participating in the discussion, and expect I'll enjoy getting to know
all of you fellow Pentaxians.

Sincerely,

Walt Gilbert

--