On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> [2] If go ahead and start using Elements, since I have it, will I be able to
> access the original unedited image and the work I've done on it from
> Lightroom?

Only if YOU maintain an original, unedited copy of the image file, or
if the image file is a raw file (which Adobe Camera Raw considers to
be a read-only file).

- Pixel editors push around the pixels in the file you open with them,
so any time you open a file and make a change to it, then save, the
file is no longer as it was and cannot be recovered. That is called
"destructive editing". Working with raw files differs in that the raw
conversion plugin considers the original raw file to be read-only so
it renders a new converted file for editing and leaves the original
file in place.

- Lightroom, iPhoto and Aperture all do parametric editing ... the
original file (raw, JPEG, TIFF, whatever) is saved and read, they
generate previews to show you what your editing operations are. To
obtain a new, finished file containing all your edits, you export from
these three applications new, finished files. The originals are always
untouched.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com