On 2010-07-17 12:30 , Igor Roshchin wrote:
(I don't use web-interface for reading e-mail, rather it is
either shell-based, such as alpine, or Thunderbird)

the email application on iPad is not webmail; it is not nearly as slick as Thunderbird but it's got some things in common; people who use shell-based email tools are a tiny minority (i was one in the late 70s), but the solution i'd propose is something like using the iSSH app to ssh into another machine where you could run alpine (if you jailbreak your iPad, you could ssh into the iPad's shell, but you'd have to compile your own version of alpine)

For the 1) above, - the lack of keyboard was definitely a hindering
factor.

any bluetooth keyboard will work, or a USB one if you buy the dock; it's an extra item but easy to keep one where you do "real work" and leave it behind for portable use

and lack
of multitasking (I know, there is a hack that allows to enable that -
so that you can listen to built-in iPod while doing something else, but
I was not going to bother.)

the specific capability you note is not a hack it's a default capability of the iPad (and iPhone and iPod Touch) to play music while running other apps; general multitasking is not there -- that's part of why the battery lasts so long