I won't go into the long story, but suffice to say that I was
following a family of swans (two adults and three or four cygnets)
along a bank when they went into a quiet corner of an inlet. Then I
saw first one, then two beavers.  After some time (and many shots) the
swans and one of the beavers left, and this fellow let me get closer
and closer.  I'd quietly take a step, stop, take several photos, then
take another step until I got to within maybe ten feet.

I have lots of photos to go through, but this stands out as one of the
better ones:

http://knarfdummyblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/tasty-morsel.html

*ist D, Sigma 50-200mm f3.5 zoom, Manfrotto monopod.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments welcome.

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept."  -Henri Cartier-Bresson