On Jul 19, 2010, at 10:12 AM, David J Brooks wrote:

> Sorry Eric, i misunderstood you i think.
>
> Not that I know of.
>
> This group travels all over to find the old equipment, restore it and
> try their hand at it.
> The "old boys" show up to tell 'em what they are doing wrong.:-)
> They also have old engines that they display along with the farm
> equipment at the local fairs.

There are a few farmers here and there around the US who, in addition to the
Amish, have chosen to farm with horses. Their costs are a whole hell of a lot
lower, they can grown their own fuel, and they don't need as much land.

Impacts on the environment, in contrast with industrialized agriculture, are
positive. They grow a greater variety of crops -- oats, hay, and pasture in a
addition to corn and soybeans -- and they can use animal and green manures
instead of petroleum-derived fertilizers.

I hope the rest of you will forgive me for engaging in off-topic reverie. I'll
cut it out soon -- perhaps right now.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net