Last night I took my camera, a *ist DS, to one of the sites of a recreation
program we run, an outdoor basketball court, in a community that's about 80
percent low-income, half African American and half refugees literally from all
over the world. I plunked myself down on a bench on the shaded end of the
court, under one of the baskets. The other end was still in direct sunlight.

I had my 50mm M on the camera, set for continuous shooting. It was my first
attempt at real action photography. Trying to keep focus while the kids moved
from one end of the court to the other, to maintain proper exposure as they
moved in and out of shadow, and to do it all manually was a real challenge. I
kept forgetting punch the exposure lock button to reset the shutter speed as
kids moved around. My feeble attempts at framing shots were largely ineffective.

I've only skimmed the images in the camera. There are a handful the kids would
find interesting, but nothing that would impress anyone here. I'm not
disappointed. It was experience. I can get pointers here and from books, etc.,
but it is experience that will teach me, that will make other sources of
information meaningful.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net