Joe -
I'm not so sure that is turkey tail - it isn't curving up much for one thing... - I don't think we have good enough shots,anyway - (from a mycological point of view ) - to tell that
and , also, the shelves don't look like quite the right shape to me...

and there is no scale, either.. -- remember, too - David is in New Zealand... Dave, the general name for a variety of fungi that have that kinda look is " shelf fungus" also called " bracket fungus."

The only way to tell for sure what a specific species of fungus is involves taking spore prints. There are only a very few varieties in the wild that one can be sure of as to what they are and their edibility without a lot of study.

So, was this big stuff? I'm curious... I joined the Mycological society of New York back in the 80's for a brief spell mainly for wanting to be able to ID the fungi I was photographing - then I learned how difficult it was... I got pretty interested for a while but most of the
members were mainly into the gourmet aspect of it .    But I digress.

anyway, I challenge Turkey Tail , as we say in the Scrabble biz  :-)

ann