On Jul 25, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Jack Davis wrote:

> I'd have guessed this to have been shot with a telephoto. They tend to be
> skittish and I understand smelling their breath can pretty much eliminate
> your future appetite.
> Wide angle?

They were napping on the underside of the wharf in Santa Cruz.  This one was
practically up against the chain link fence blocking off the beams from the
access.  I put my camera below the fence and just shot at full auto, guessing
on the aim, as it was the only way to get a clean shot from that angle without
the fence in the way. While I was photographing him one woman came up and
wanted to pet him. I told her not to, that it was a good way to lose a hand.

That shot was at 18mm using the 18-250.

There's another landing for launching boats where I shot this one at 250:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/4827165629/in/set-72157624454680617/
with no fences. I could have walked right up to them,  but even if I trusted
myself to not scare, harass or threaten them, with all of the tourists around,
I wouldn't have trusted one of them to not do something stupid.