Christopher,

The late screw mount Pentax cameras generally had the best viewfinders.  That includes
the ESII, Spotmatic F, and even the Spotmatic
II.  If you happen to have SMC lenses, you may wish to consider the ESII (automatic)
or Spotmatic F, although the Spotmatic II will
work just as well but without automation or open-aperture metering (you'd be stopping
down).

The factory offered a range of optional screens.  I have split image and plain matte
screens in a couple of mine.  The microprism is
OK for some things, as are the other two for various applications.  No one screen is
perfect for everything.  The combined split
with microprism found in some cameras is a nice nod in that direction but it was not a
catalog offering for the Spotmatic cameras.
Recent eBay evidence suggests that screens can still be fitted to these cameras for
affordable prices so that may be an option.

As for deciding between the three cameras suggested above?  Personal preference.  I
think this enters into opinion.  I don't know if
there will be a lot of dispute on this point but the Spotmatic II is probably the
least complex and most reliable.  The Spotmatic F
comes next in that category, just for the meter system being more complex, less
reliable and somewhat ill designed (it is "ON" if
the lens cap is removed.

The ESII (when you find a good one, which isn't too hard, but not guaranteed) is a
great camera and can be trusted to make good
automatic exposures with judicious use, and has the added benefits of open-aperture
metering and shutter speed displayed in the
viewfinder.

I think that is probably enough from me as now the disputes will begin!  Just my
opinion.

ppro

http://whitemetal.com/pentax/index.htm