I have been sorta tracking this discussion . . .
Tom, you seem to imply that LR requires general adjustments across a range of
images, e.g., all those imported at one time. Not at all true. Yes, it is
possible to make changes to an image (white balance, exposure, etc.) and then
to replicate those adjustments for any other batch of images you chose, but it
only happens when you request it, and it only happens to those other images you
specify.
There are default settings you can choose to set (e.g. contrast increase) that
get applied to all images upon import, but again, you chose what if any such
changes you want to apply. And since the image itself is never touched, any
default adjustments that turn out to be inappropriate for a given image or set
of images can simply be overridden as you deal with each individual image. No
harm,no foul.
Or you could have meant that each image calls for a different workflow. Which
LR totally allows. There is no step-by-step process imposed on the user.

I am sure that PS users can do many more detailed, subtle, image modifications
than LR users. But LR provides a tremendous front end that can handle 90-95% or
more of all post-processing for most people.

stan