When I signed up, I wasn't sure how many members there were, or how busy the list was. So, on the off-chance that it was extremely busy (I know some lists generate hundreds of emails a day), I decided to just get it in digest form so I wouldn't have to wade through them all. Also, I rarely use email to communicate anymore, so they tend to pile up between account log-ins. With regard to replying directly to the author of a given reply, what I meant was that I try to avoid sending messages directly to the individual in order to keep from filling up others' inboxes with redundant messages when I can simply respond in the thread.

I'm still not sure I'm expressing myself clearly. My main concern is having my replies appear correctly within an expanded thread. Also, I'd like to respond without having the individual I'm replying to receive a notification from both the list, as well as a direct email from me, just to avoid the redundancy. I suppose it's a pretty minor thing, really. But, it's one of those netiquette things I try to abide by whenever possible.