On 8/30/2010 12:41 AM, John Sessoms wrote:
From: David J Brooks
Am thinking of getting a small P&S something i can keep in my pocket
for Erins wedding or the console of my truck. I'll drag my big gear
but would like something small and handy.
Thinking along the lines of the Canon Powershot A series.

Any recommendations. Want to try and keep it under $150-200

A1100 looks to be the only one with an optical viewfinder. Estimated Retail Price on the Canon site is $149.99, so the price is in the right range.

I just can't stand those hold it out at arms length and squint at the itty-bitty TV on the back P&S cameras ... ought to demand TRUTH IN ADVERTISING and make 'em call them what they really are P.O.S.!.

I still have the 2MP A60 I got in 2004. It's one of those that ended up being repaired for free even though it was out of warranty because of the bad Sony chip. It was still working last time I pulled it out of the glove box a couple of weeks ago.

I doubt that the Canon's viewfinder will be all that accurate as a framing tool. I'd expect lots of uncompensated parallax, at close distances, and lots of slop at long distances.

The reason P&S cameras don't have viewfinders today.is that less money was put into viewfinders so fewer photographers used them. Fewer photographers used the crappy viewfinders as they became crappier each iteration. Repeat that pattern until the viewfinder disappears.

--
"His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral
bankruptcy."